We've had three test games so far, and it has been very successful...photos from the latest game are at the bottom of the page, and the rule amendments used are below.
The Main RuleUse the Congo rules as written, except as noted below (by section).
GeneralIncrease Measuring Sticks, so instead of 4, 6 and 12 inches, they will be 6, 12 and 18 inches.
Add artillery as a unit:
- Range is L x3
- No. of Dice as per Figures in Unit (start with 4)
- Dice is d8 within 1L, 1L-2L d6, 2L-3L Half d6;
- Cannons have a 45 degree arc of fire (from the barrel), they need a move action to turn
- Units targeted by cannon fire draw 2 stress tokens
Unit cohesion changes to 1";
Line of sight - because units now have a cohesion of 1", units have an arc of fire of 45 degrees. If units fire to their side and rear, use half dice, as if it was an obscured target.
Unit/Character ActivationRemove section, and replace with Donnybrook card activation. There will be a card for each unit/character, and they will activate on the turn of that card;
Characters can join/leave units on their card; As in Donnybrook, they are simply placed 2" away from the unit and can take a turn if not already activated with the unit; They cannot leave and joing a unit in the same turn; they can be targeted if they leave a unit...so don't do it when in line of sight!!!
There is no reload card (this is now an order), but there IS a Turn End card, just to add unpredictability!
On the turn of your units card, it gives one action:
- Terror Attack (performed only by units with a character only)
MovementAs written, other than references to the Congo Card Deck
ShootingRevised Weapon Ranges:
- Rifle/Jezzail Range should be L x2, i.e. 36" (d6 to hit at more than 18"; if the unit has d6 ability, then half dice);
- Spear Range changes to S, i.e. 6"
- Pistol Range is M, i.e. 12"
- Others remain the same;
MeleeAs written, other than references to the Congo Card Deck.
Running AwayAs written, other than references to the Congo Card Deck.
TotemsRevised Totem Cards:
- DICE: Add dice to any roll;
ACTION: Gives the unit activated an extra action;
STRESS: Lose a stress token;
MOVE: Move x units 'S';
STICK: Add S to any distance;
INITIATIVE: Cancel a units activation;